Saturday, February 1, 2014

Stacking The Shelves February 1



Stacking the Shelves
- Hosted by: Tynga’s Reviews

Description: Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

Kindle Buys:


These Kindle books were all on sale this week, so I was very lucky to get 3 books from my TBR list for the price of one book! Very excited for each of these. Also Known As, reminds me a bit of the Gallagher Girl novels by Ally Carter, so I’m super excited to dive in and give it a try. I thought the cover for the Jenny Jones book was so cute, and it sounds fun. Finally, I’ve had my eye on Between the Sea and Sky for a while now – and just look at that cover!


Which is more dangerous: being an international spy... or surviving high school?


Maggie Silver has never minded her unusual life. Cracking safes for the world's premier spy organization and traveling the world with her insanely cool parents definitely beat high school and the accompanying cliques, bad lunches, and frustratingly simple locker combinations. (If it's three digits, why bother locking it at all?)

But when Maggie and her parents are sent to New York City for her first solo assignment, her world is transformed. Suddenly, she's attending a private school with hundreds of "mean girl" wannabes, trying to avoid the temptation to hack the school's elementary security system, and working to befriend the aggravatingly cute son of a potential national security threat... all while trying not to blow her cover.

From the hilarious and poignant author of Audrey, Wait! comes a fast-paced caper that proves that even the world's greatest spies don't have a mission plan for love. (Goodreads)



For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alander, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alander band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air. (Goodreads)


New York's social darling just woke up in a nightmare: Oklahoma. Problem is, it's right where God wants her. Bella Kirkwood had it all: A-list friends at her prestigious private school, Broadway in her backyard, and Daddy's MasterCard in her wallet. Then her father, a plastic surgeon to the stars, decided to trade her mother in for a newer model.When Bella's mom falls in love with a man she met on the Internet--a factory worker with two bratty sons--Bella has to pack up and move in with her new family in Truman, Oklahoma. On a farm no less! 
Forced to trade her uber-trendy NYC lifestyle for  down-home charm, Bella feels like a pair of Rock & Republic jeans in a sea of Wranglers. At least some of the people in her new high school are pretty cool. Especially the hunky football player who invites her to lunch. And maybe even the annoying--but kinda hot--editor of the school newspaper.But before long, Bella smells something rotten in the town of Truman, and it's not just the cow pasture. With her savvy reporter's instincts, she is determined to find the story behind all the secrets.
How can a girl go on when her charmed life is gone and God appears to be giving her the total smackdown? (Goodreads)




Bookstore Buys:


These both just happened to “fall” into my hands at the bookstore and then I bought them before I even realized what I was doing – or that’s what I told my husband anyway. Well, I wasn’t planning on making any more book purchases, as I already have two bookshelves full of TBR books but… I couldn’t resist! Etiquette & Espionage had such a cool cover, and I love the title. The premise of this and my other bookstore purchase this week, sounded very interesting. Stay tuned for an upcoming review on each.



Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.(Goodreads)





"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself? (Goodreads)


Internet Buys:



Very excited to try both of these Chick Lit/Adult Contemporary novels by Ally Carter. I believe these are the only of her books that I have not read so far, and I’m hoping they’ll help tide me over until the release of her next YA series Embassy Row. 



Self-help guru Julia James is so good at being single that she's become famous for it-advising women that they don't need a man to be happy. Then the unthinkable happens. Just when her newest book, 101 Ways to Cheat at Solitaire, is about to hit stores, a trumped-up piece of gossip linking her to a gorgeous actor hits the papers. 
Their pictures are splashed all over the tabloids, and now Julia's credibility is about to hit rock bottom. 
But she isn't going down without a fight. Unless, that is, the actor is going down with her.





Julia James was on a winning streak. The hot self-help author of the single-girl's guide 101 Ways to Cheat at Solitaire had millions in the bank and a boyfriend on the Hollywood A-list. But when her books drop off the bestseller list and her famous boyfriend moves to L.A., Julia must discover how a woman who became famous for being single can win at a game made for two.



So, I guess I went a little crazy this week with book buys, but I’m really excited for all of these!
Anyone else buy any great new reads this week? Please feel free to comment and share a link to your new reads below. 


Jenn
 Tale of Two Doxies
www.taleoftwodoxies.blogspot.com





17 comments:

  1. Great books! I've heard a lot about Also Known As and Between the Sea and Sky sounds really good too!

    Happy Reading!

    ~Stephanie @ Bookfever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep seeing Also Known As - I'm hoping it's as good as it looks and perhaps a bit like Ally Carter's series. Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pretty excited...my husband less so :)

      Delete
  3. Great books this week! I'm excited to read Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger. I hope you enjoy them all!

    Thanks for stopping by my STS @ Addicted Readers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it looks like a really fun read, and I'm loving the setting. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great haul! I read My Life Next Door at the end of last year and absolutely LOVED it, definitely recommend that one. I hope you enjoy all of your books & thanks for stopping by my post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback on My Life Next Door, I stumbled on it by chance at the bookstore. Love getting feedback from those who have read them!

      Delete
  5. my life next door is one of my all time favorite YA reads. it's sooooooo good. i hope you love it just as much as i do. happy reading :)

    please stop by my StS Post.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is definitely promising if you're giving it an all-time fave recommendation. Can't wait to read it, thanks for the book feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. AKA was good, but had lots of language and stuff. Still good. I've seen a couple of bloggers grab Between the Sea and Sky this week and I have to agree that the cover is gorgeous! Jenny B. Jones is a favorite author, so I hope you enjoy her book. You should definitely read There You'll Find Me by her as well, if you haven't already. I loved E&E! Very quirky, but so well written. I loved the rough and tumble family in My Life Next Door. Really great haul! Thanks for stopping by mine!!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually read anything by Jenny B Jones yet, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll definitely check out There You'll Find Me on my kindle. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the others one's you've read as well, I always appreciate feedback from others the books I come across. It also helps me to justify impulse buys, when I hear others say how good they were :)

      Delete
  7. Great haul of books, I've got Etiquette & Espionage on my TBR pile and the sequel but still haven't got round to reading them even though I loved her previous books! I've had Between the Sea & Sky on my wishlist since the day came out (over 2 years now!), looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

    Enjoy your new books and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was the same way, I've had Between the Sea and Sky on my wishlist forever, and just now got around to buying it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. My Life Next Door looks great! Hope you enjoy all your books! :)

    Our STS

    ReplyDelete